We, the students of Amherst College, acknowledge our responsibilities to ourselves as individuals, to the community, and to each other, and shall pursue the ideals of all without denying the ideals of one. We shall establish a community in which each individual is accepted and in which each individual participates. Promoting the free interaction and exchange of ideas, we declare our commitment to articulating student voices for advancing action and change. We shall use our collective voice to take an active role in affecting the College’s policies and priorities. In affirmation of these principles and to ensure fair representation for all Students we hereby establish the Association of Amherst Students.
AAS VALUES STATEMENT (AS OF 4.12.21)
The Association of Amherst Students, in order to fulfill our mission of representing student voices for action and change, adopts the following core values:
- Honesty, integrity, and transparency, to facilitate trust, good faith, and good advocacy;
- Respect for all members of our community, to ensure that everyone’s voice is heard, that everyone feels welcome, and that our actions promote and protect everyone’s needs;
- Excellence, in ourselves and our partners, to never do or accept less than students deserve;
- Accountability, to always own up to our mistakes and to never accept apologies without change;
- Learning, to recognize our place at an education institution where we must grow both in and out of the classroom;
- Action, to point us towards concrete change rather than words alone;
- Health and happiness, especially mental health, to ensure that all students can live meaningful and good lives; and
- Humanity, to prioritize people over policy and to remember our mission to enact progressive change.
These values guide our work for students with the administration and in the broader world. We pledge to follow them, and we ask to be held accountable if we falter.
Who We Are & What We Do
[The AAS represents the student body. It makes recommendations to the administration based on student input, supports student programming and puts on campus wide events. AAS members also act as a bridge between students and College administration.